HEALTH & SAFETY
Designed today with tomorrow in mind - clean, safe and responsible
Health, safety and environmental protection are core values for ExxonMobil and SABIC, who are industry leaders in these areas. Both companies operate chemical facilities safely every day across the United Sates, and we will do the same with this project.
The health and safety of our employees and the community go hand in hand. Many project employees and their families will live in the communities where we operate our facilities, and their goal every day is to work safely, go home safely to their families and make sure their coworkers go home safely too.
We incorporate safety awareness into every aspect of operations, from training, to safety discussions at the start of every meeting, to safety reminders throughout the plant, to peer reporting systems. Through these efforts and many others, ExxonMobil and SABIC have each achieved award-winning safety records.
PROCESS - Rigorous, industry-leading company programs
ExxonMobil and SABIC implement thorough, proven procedures to ensure safe operations. Gulf Coast Growth Ventures will protect the health and safety of our employees and the community in three ways:
- Engineering: In compliance with regulatory requirements and corporate standards, the facility will be designed with Best Available Control Technology to minimize risk.
- Administrative programs: The facility will have several programs in place to ensure safety standards are upheld and to track performance. Employees will be trained to ensure full implementation of safety procedures and prevention of accidents.
- Protective equipment: When employees conduct on-site work, protective equipment will be used.
Regulatory permitting process and operational regulations protect the health and safety of the community and the environment.
- The facilities cannot be built without a permit from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, which enforces standards that protect human health and the environment. These standards must be met in order to obtain permits to build and operate.
- GCGV will work with TCEQ throughout the design and permitting process to ensure Best Available Control Technologies are implemented.
- The permitting process includes opportunities for public comment to ensure transparency.
- Title V operating permits require the day-to-day monitoring of environmental compliance and public reporting on compliance status.
- Daily project operations will follow thousands of federal and state environmental and safety requirements.
Responsible Care Companies
ExxonMobil and SABIC have both been recognized for superior environmental, health, safety and security performance. ExxonMobil and SABIC are certified Responsible Care® companies of the American Chemistry Council. Responsible Care® is the chemical industry’s world-class environmental, health, safety and security initiative. Companies who commit to Responsible Care®:
- Have a worker safety rate 5x better than the U.S. manufacturing sector, and 3x better than the chemistry sector overall
- Have reduced safety incidents by 51% since 1995
- Have reduced recordable injury and illness rates by 79% since 1990
- Have decreased release incidents by 62% since 1995
- Have improved energy efficiency by 25% and reduced greenhouse intensity by 29% since 1992
- Undergo audits to ensure structures and systems are in place to verify performance continued
Responsible Care Company of the Year Recognition
Both SABIC and ExxonMobil have been recognized by the American Chemistry Council as Responsible Care Companies of the Year, with SABIC receiving the award in 2016. To be eligible for the Responsible Care Company of the Year award, companies must demonstrate:
- A recordable injury rating in the top 10% of companies in their size category
- Positive performance trends in process safety, transportation safety and emissions reduction
- Public availability of product stewardship information
- On-time or early completion of required performance metrics reporting
- Responsible Care Management System® and Responsible Care 14001 Certification®, which offer companies an integrated, structured approach to manage and enhance environmental, health, safety and security performance.
ExxonMobil employs expert-level health professionals and physicians who are dedicated to protecting the health of our workforce and our neighbors. These experts support our ability to keep safety and health at the forefront of our priorities as it relates to our plant operations, the materials we process, our workforce and the neighboring communities in which we operate.
We demonstrate our commitment to health both inside and outside our plants in a few ways:
- ExxonMobil health professionals provide input on key project details including design reviews, medical resource infrastructure and public health program development.
- We actively monitor air quality, operational safety and environmental programs in and around our operating plants. This ensures our workforce is healthy and that we are not impacting health in adjacent communities. These monitoring results are controlled to well below the requirements of the Occupational Safety & Health Administration.
An ExxonMobil study of several Gulf Coast sites similar to the proposed GCGV facility found that between 2000-2015, exposure levels inside the plant across a broad range of chemicals averaged less than 10% of the national Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s personnel exposure limits. These limits ensure the health of employees is protected.
- We conduct health studies that help monitor our employees’ health status. These studies are published in peer reviewed scientific journals to support sound science and transparency in health communication. The results continue to show the overall health of our employees is better than that of the U.S. population.
View PDF Previous Page Next Page